One of the key elements leading to success in sales is the ability to stay focused on your goals and motivated to perform those tasks that must be accomplished every day. Those include simple things like getting up and getting going in the morning, but also include being able to pick yourself up and keep going in the face of adversity and to accept the inevitable “No”, when you fail to close a sale or get an appointment.
Motivation comes in many forms. It can come from truly visualizing what you hope to achieve, from some drive deep inside that demands excellence, and in many cases, from outside influencers such as family, peers or your sales manager. The bottom line is that no one can motivate you except yourself. Others can help you to realize what is important to you, but only you can truly impact your own performance.
- Always assume your competitors are smarter than you are.
- In order to be successful in sales, you have to see enough people, they must be the right kind of people, you have to tell them your story, and you have to do it every day.
- People buy what they want from someone who knows what they need.
- He who only plans is a dreamer, and he who only works is a drudge, but he who plans his work and then works the plan, is called a success.
- To sell effectively, you must have a marketing plan which relies on a whole range of methods for getting your story to your customers.
- Take charge of your attitude. Don’t let someone else do it for you.
-H. Jackson Brown Jr.
On this page I have tried to list various views on personal motivation that may help to get you going when the going gets rough. My personal experience has been that if I hit a particularly difficult period in either my personal or professional life, the right quote can help me to focus my energies and get back on track. Perhaps you’ll find something here that will help you personally when the dreaded plague of “Inactivity” strikes. Some of the quotes are ones that I have developed to help myself and my sales staff in years past, others have been used over the years by various sales trainers, and still others come from historical figures. They all have but one purpose … to get you thinking about success and staying on track.
- Bill Fitzpatrick
ON PERSONAL MOTIVATION
- Successful people develop the habits of doing those things that unsuccessful people choose not to do. -Author Unknown
- There are no great men in this world, only great challenges that ordinary men rise to meet.
-Admiral William "Bull" Halsey
- All of your dreams can come true if you only have the courage to pursue them.
- There is no limit to what can be accomplished if you don’t care who gets the credit.
- The struggle is to do one’s best, to keep the brain and conscience clear, never to be swayed by unworthy motives or inconsequential reasons, but to do one’s duty.
-Dwight David Eisenhower
- Imagination and innovation must drive your efforts every day.
- In the long run, people only hit what they aim at.
-Henry David Thoreau
- Avoiding failure is not the same as seeking success. -Roger Fritz
- Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts.
-H. Jackson Brown Jr.